Organic Yogurt from Raw Milk
Making Organic Yogurt from Raw Milk 101
Step One: Make friends with an Organic farmer.
Step Two: Do a few hours of hard labour on the farm.
Step Three: Pretend you are really thirsty and ask for a jar of milk.
Okay, all jokes aside. You cannot buy raw milk in Canada, so the only way to get raw milk is to know a farmer who has them. Luckily I do. For all you city folks out there just substitute organic fresh milk from this point on.
Difficulty: 3 out of 10
Time: 30 mins prep, 2 days process
- 1 Liter of organic milk (if you use raw milk, I recommend boiling it first)
- 1/5 of a container (130 g) of plain organic yogurt . I use Astro’s organic, but you can choose your favourite brand. I use plain because other flavours will dilute.
- Boil the milk and let it cool to room temperature.
- Clean the inside walls of your yogurt container and the lid. Wipe all excess residue.
- Pour room temperature milk into the container and mix well with the yogurt.
- If you want silky yogurt, cover and leave in room temperature for two days (48 hours)
- If you want firm yogurt, cover and leave container in the sun for 2-4 hours then leave it in room temperature for 24 hours.
- Chill for 1 hour before serving. If you notice green mold on the edges that means you have to do a better job of keeping the container clean. The rest of the yogurt is still good.
Enjoy the fruit of your labour! Consume it within the next few days as other bacteria might try to attack this deliciousness before you do. Leave about a 1/5 of it so you can start your next batch. Add organic lemon spread for a twist.
Leave comments below and let me know how you like the recipe.
Leave a Reply